Undergraduate and Graduate
If you a student from outside the U.S. and interested in enrolling in one of UW-Stout's undergraduate or graduate majors, please submit the following:
1. Online Application
We recommend using our online application. You can begin the application any time and save your progress to come back to it later.
Undergraduate students can also use the Common App, an easy and fast way to apply.
2. Payment for Application
If you use the online application, you can submit payment by credit card at the end of the application process. If you don't have a credit card, you may also submit your application payment via flywire.com, a money transfer service UW-Stout has partnered with to facilitate easy payment from your home country.
Undergraduate $75 Payment:
The $75 Undergraduate application payment includes $25 application fee and $50 international processing fee.
Graduate $106 Payment:
The $106 Graduate application payment includes the $56 application fee and the $50 International processing fee.
3. Evidence of English Proficiency
The English proficiency requirement may be waived for applicants from English-speaking countries. This will be determined by the Admissions Office after you have applied.
- Official TOEFL score:
- Minimum iBT (or MyBest) score of 70, or minimum paper-based score of 525.
- Official IELTS score:
- Successful completion of UW-Stout's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
- Successful completion of an English language program affiliated with UW-Stout.
- Graduate from a high school in the United States.
- You have earned at least 15 transferable university-level credits from an accredited English medium-sized institution.
- You have earned a grade of C or better in a course equivalent to UW-Stout's English 101: Composition 1.
Only ONE of the following must be completed to fulfill the English proficiency requirement:
- Official TOEFL score
- Minimum paper-based of 550, or a minimum iBT score of 79
- Applicants with TOEFL scores of 75 to 78 (iBT) or 533 to 549 (paper-based) will be required to take at least one graduate level writing and research course through UW-Stout's ESL program. Students with scores less than 75 will not be reviewed for admission.
- Official IELTS score
- Complete a Bachelor's or Master's Degree from an accredited institution in the USA within the last five years.
Note: Individual programs may have higher score requirements.
4. Declaration of Finances
Please submit a formal written statement or an official bank statement certifying that either you or your sponsor has sufficient funds (that is, no less than the US dollar amount required for undergraduate expenses) on deposit to insure full payment of expenses for your first year at UW-Stout.
Submit an official bank statement certifying that you or your sponsor has sufficient funds on deposit (in US dollars) to ensure full payment of expenses for your first year of graduate study. Refer to Estimate of Expenses to see current amount required.
5. Official/Attested Academic Records
Please submit your academic records from all secondary and higher education institutions you've attended.
- Send your official/attested academic records translated into English.
- Include course descriptions for all courses you've completed at higher education institutions.
- For graduate-level programs: It is in your best interest to use a credential evaluator. This will give our evaluators the best possible information as we consider your transferable credits. It may also provide a faster turnaround for you to receive your transfer credit report. We suggest using a course-by-course evaluation with Grade Point Average (GPA). This credential evaluation may be from any member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Recommended evaluators include:
6. Specific Program Requirements
For certain degree programs, there are additional applications and materials required. Check the program-specific admission requirements for your program on this page: Program-Specific Admission Requirements