Earn While You Learn
Graduate Assistantships (GAs) are paid positions at UW-Stout where you also have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience. The process for finding a GA position here is a bit different than on some campuses. Openings are posted on Handshake by academic programs and administrative units, and the process of searching for one and applying is much like finding any other kind of employment.
Guidelines and Benefits
- You are eligible for health benefits if your GA position is at least 0.33 FTE.
- GAs do not include a tuition waiver. However, non-resident students who hold at least a 0.33 FTE position are not charged the non-resident portion of tuition.
- GAs are considered a form of financial aid.
- GAs are typically filled on an academic year basis, although some may be for one semester or a partial semester only.
- Pay rates are set yearly by the University of Wisconsin system. Please see the current Pay Chart for Graduate Assistants.
Eligibility and Requirements
You are eligible for a GA position if you meet all of the following criteria:
- admitted to a graduate degree program (dual-level and non-degree seeking students are not eligible),
- enrolled in at least six graduate credits each term, and
- maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 each term.
Depending on the FTE percentage rate of your position, GAs are required to work a certain number of hours per year:
|Appointment %||Hours Per Week||Hours Per Year|
|1/2 time (.500)||20||640|
|1/3 time (.333)||13.3||426|
|1/4 time (.250)||10||320|